For many overseeing or managing the cleaning of your holiday property is impossible, especially when you’re 1000 miles away. However there are a number of options available to you to ensure your holiday property is kept spic and span at all times.
The best course of action for any owner with a holiday property oversees is to appoint either a property management company or a cleaner or cleaning company. As professionals who are likely to specialise in the holiday rental industry in the local area they will be geared up to oversee and ensure all cleaning that is required takes place both between holiday rentals and at the end and beginning of the season.
Leaving the cleaning of your property and/or the laundry to the renters is a risky business and not one that we recommend. Although many who use this method will tell you that they will charge deposits for the use of linens and hold back any security deposit if the property is not left as stipulated. Long term it is likely to cause you a lot of headaches and in peak holiday season could even result in complaints from other guests who do not find your holiday property in a fit state when they arrive.
Property managers and cleaners will normally have a checklist of items to be checked out ahead of a guest’s arrival, after their departure and even mid-stay. They will also conduct a deep clean of your holiday property at the end of the season and ensure all the spring cleaning has been done before next year’s guests arrive.
Examples of things to expect when hiring someone to undertake the cleaning of your holiday property in between guests are:
- An extensive clean of the kitchen including counters, cabinets, sinks and backsplashes. Inside and outside of appliances like the fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster and other items, replacement of bin linens, dishwashing liquid or tablets and replacement of clean dish cloths and dish towels
- Cleaning of the living areas to include, tidying, dusting and vacuuming of all window ledges, sills, furniture, blinds and curtains, picture frames, mirrors, knick-knacks, fans and lamps and floors. Along with the cleaning of any windows and sliding doors and removal of dirty linen and replacement with clean linen if you have a sofa bed.
- A full change of all bed linens including sheets , duvet covers and pillow cases, vacuuming and mopping of floors including under the beds, a check for personal items left in draws and wardrobes, dusting of furniture and mirrors, cleaning of finger prints off windows and a check for wear and tear or stains on bedding and blankets.
- Sanitisation and cleaning of all showers, bathtubs, mirrors, sinks, toilets and backsplashes in bathrooms, Polishing of chrome, Washing of floor and wall tiles, emptying of rubbish bins and replenishment of hand soap and towels.
- Additionally they will check that all washers and dryer are empty, that all light bulbs are in working order, that the patio and barbeque are clean and notify you of any breakages or damage left by the departing guests.
In addition to the above items that will be done in-between every holiday rental, at the end of each season and the beginning of a new, you can expect additional tasks such as:
- Clearance of guttering, power hosing of exterior areas and shutters, exterior painting of bear spots and inspection and replacement of any sealants. Along with inspection, replacement or repair of other areas such as railings, the roof, fences and gates, garage doors and sprinkler systems.
- Cleaning of the grout and tiles in all rooms, a deep clean of the oven, refrigerator, freezer, cabinets and pantry, spot cleaning on any stained furniture, inspection and replacement of linen and towels and the replacement and inspection of all fire and security equipment.
The above is not an extensive list of items, and we would recommend you draw up your own checklist of what you expect so that you can discuss this when choosing the right professional.
Alternatively, if you are planning on doing your own cleaning of your holiday property then use these to get you started on your comprehensive checklist, so you can be sure you never miss a thing.